[OS X TeX] LaTable and Tablas: Windows LaTeX table editors on OS X (Intel only)

Ramón Figueroa-Centeno ramonf at hawaii.edu
Sat Apr 4 21:37:20 EDT 2009

Aloha,

Here <http://www2.hawaii.edu/~ramonf/TeXShop/LaTable.zip> is a table editor, LaTable by Alex A. Denisov, for LaTeX which was made for Win32. I added icons and a launcher application. To use it you need Darwine <http://www.kronenberg.org/darwine/>, a port of wine which lets you run many windows applications on an Intel Mac for FREE (tested with version 1.1.18). I would also update X11 with the latest XQuartz <http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki>. Double click LaTable (not LaTable.exe) to launch. Note: LaTable gives an error on exit, which is AFAIK harmless.

The link contains a full distribution as the original site is no longer active.

Darwine comes with an application named TriX that let's you install free files (fonts, libraries, etc.) that do not come with Darwine. Some applications need DDL's that do not come with Darwine and are not installed by TriX, usually you can find them by Googling.

The launcher is a general launcher for .exe files with Darwine, i.e., if you drag an .exe file onto it it will rename itself and become a launcher for the .exe. This has two benefits: (a) you now have an application that can be placed in the Dock and can be found by application launchers, for example Butler <http://www.petermaurer.de/butler/>; (b) the Wine Helper application that comes with Darwine has a bug that gives any application launched with it a root directory inside the Darwine bundle, in contrast, the launcher makes the root directory the folder where it is located.

I have used it to be able to use other Windows software on my Intel Macs. For example, Tablas <http://www.informatica.us.es/~calvo/prog/> another LaTeX table editor, which is actively maintained and in many ways better than LaTable.

Enjoy!

Ramón