[OS X TeX] Sysquake for LaTeX (and TeXShop)

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun Apr 5 09:16:34 EDT 2009

On Apr 5, 2009, at 1:36 AM, Peter Pagin wrote:

> Thanks Herb,
> 5 apr 2009 kl. 00.52 skrev Herbert Schulz:
>

>> On Apr 4, 2009, at 5:15 PM, Peter Pagin wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> but the log says 'entering extended mode', which I thought reports
>>> that the shell-escape option has been used, or am I wrong?
>>>
>>> Peter
>>

>> Howdy,
>>
>> No, that message is about using an etex (extended tex) mode which
>> extends the number of counters, etc., to capacity of memory. The
>> message that says that shell escape is enabled is
>>
>> \write18 enabled.
>>
>> and would appear before the extended mode message.
>
> I actually knew this before, but managed to get things mixed up.
> Thanks a lot for clearing it up for me.
>
> This brought my attention to the first log line 'unrecognized option
> --shell escape--synctex=1'. The option came from the TexShop engine
> preferences for pdflatex. I then deleted '--synctex=1', to see what
> would happen, and what happened was that the log reported '\write18
> enabled' and that Sysquake for LaTeX started working. Absolutely
> great!
>
> Then I was worried that there is maybe something else wrong with my
> installation, since the synctex option doesn't work. I looked
> through old mails on the list about synctex=1. This led me to try
> out some variations, including putting in a space betwee '--shell
> escape' and '--synctex=1'. Now this works as well. Take away the
> space, and the problem is back.
>
> Since the preference is, or at one time was, a TeXShop default (I
> don't think I had meddled with it before), maybe others have the
> same problem.
>
> Many thanks again, to Herb, Michael and Alain.
>
> Best,
> Peter

Howdy,

Did you really copy and paste those options? There is a missing hyphen
and space in what you write out. It should be

--shell-escape --synctex=1

with a hyphen between shell and escape and a space between the escape
and the --synctex=1. If you are not using MacTeX 2008 you will get an
``unrecognized option --synctex=1'' since synctex is a feature of
pdftex that first appeared in MacTeX 2008.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)