[OS X TeX] Tried comment environment in Memoir

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 15:11:21 EDT 2009

On Apr 6, 2009, at 2:43 PM, David Arnold wrote:
> [...]
>
> \end{exercise}
>
> \begin{exercise}
> Solve for $x$:\quad $2x+3=5-2x$.
>
> \begin{backanswer}
> $1/2$
> \end{backanswer}
>
> \begin{solution}
> Isolate terms with $x$ on the left, simplify, then divide by the
> coefficient of $x$.
> \begin{align*}
> 2x+3&=5-2x\\
> 2x+2x&=5-3\\
> 4x&=2\\
> \frac{4x}{4}&=\frac{2}{4}\\
> x&=\frac{1}{2}
> \end{align*}
> \end{solution}
>
> \end{exercise}
>
> \begin{exercise}
> Solve for $x$:\quad $2x+3=5-2x$.
>
> \begin{backanswer}
> $1/2$
> \end{backanswer}
>
> \begin{solution}
> Isolate terms with $x$ on the left, simplify, then divide by the
> coefficient of $x$.
> \begin{align*}
> 2x+3&=5-2x\\
> 2x+2x&=5-3\\
> 4x&=2\\
> \frac{4x}{4}&=\frac{2}{4}\\
> x&=\frac{1}{2}
> \end{align*}
> \end{solution}
>
> \end{exercise}
>
> \begin{exercise}
> Solve for $x$:\quad $2x+3=5-2x$.
>
> \begin{backanswer}
> $1/2$
> \end{backanswer}
>
> \begin{solution}
> Isolate terms with $x$ on the left, simplify, then divide by the
> coefficient of $x$.
> \begin{align*}
> 2x+3&=5-2x\\
> 2x+2x&=5-3\\
> 4x&=2\\
> \frac{4x}{4}&=\frac{2}{4}\\
> x&=\frac{1}{2}
> \end{align*}
> \end{solution}
>
> \end{exercise}
>
> \begin{exercise}
> Solve for $x$:\quad $2x+3=5-2x$.
>
> \begin{backanswer}
> $1/2$
> \end{backanswer}
>
> \begin{solution}
> Isolate terms with $x$ on the left, simplify, then divide by the
> coefficient of $x$.
> \begin{align*}
> 2x+3&=5-2x\\
> 2x+2x&=5-3\\
> 4x&=2\\
> \frac{4x}{4}&=\frac{2}{4}\\
> x&=\frac{1}{2}
> \end{align*}
> \end{solution}
>
> \end{exercise}
>
> \begin{exercise}
> Solve for $x$:\quad $2x+3=5-2x$.
>
> \begin{backanswer}
> $1/2$
> \end{backanswer}
>
> \begin{solution}
> Isolate terms with $x$ on the left, simplify, then divide by the

Out of sheer curiosity, I tried the above but  got the error

LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `OT1/cmss/m/it' in size <12> not
available
(Font)              Font shape `OT1/cmss/m/sl' tried instead on input
line 72.

	Runaway argument?
	! Paragraph ended before \verbatim at start was complete.
	<to be read again>
	                   \par
	l.90 \begin{backanswer}

Of course, I don't even know if memoir is anywhere in Mac's guts so I
tried book instead and got the error

	Excluding comment 'comment')
	! Undefined control sequence.
	<recently read> \chapterstyle

	l.5 \chapterstyle
	                 {bianchi}
	?

That looked plausible so I commented out
	\chapterstyle{bianchi}

which gave me this time

	Excluding comment 'comment')
	! Undefined control sequence.
	l.7 \newoutputstream
                     {backansout}
	?

But now I have no idea even what to try.

Merely curious regards
--schremmer