[OS X TeX] OT: Scanners, OCR, searchable pdf files, Acrobat Pro 9

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 22:54:15 EDT 2009

On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 10:27 PM, Claus
Gerhardt<gerhardt at math.uni-heidelberg.de> wrote:
> The S1500M uses ABBY Fine Reader for OCR. However this special version only
> works for files scanned by the ScanSnap.
>
> Claus
>

> On Aug 3, 2009, at 2:35, Victor Ivrii wrote:
>
>> 3) OCR becomes a problem with documents which contain plenty of
>> formulae or non-Latin based. AP 7 was really bad with those, AP 8 was
>> better and I had no need to experiment extensively with AP 9. The good
>> news is that ABBY Fine Reader works great with those and it is built
>> into Djvu Document Express. The bad news is that it is purely Windows
>> and is *extremely* expensive. Long ago djvu produced much smaller
>> documents than AP7 and there are many OCRed old journals in djvu
>> format (see http://numdam.org and http://projecteuclid.org f.e.) but
>> Djvu Document Express was neglected for many years and AP made a
>> really big progress.

To clarify (I wrote ambivalently): not ABBY Fine Reader is for Windows
only and *extremely* expensive but "Djvu Document Express"

It looks like they finally updated ABBYY FineReader® Express Edition for Mac

http://www.abbyyusa.com/shop/

ReadIris is also pretty good while Omnipage went into obliviation

It looks like Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500M does not have a platen glass but
only ADF. Those are very fast but expensive. I achieved very good
results with  Canon Pixma MX310 ($100) but I never use it for
printing, copying or receiving faxes. Sure it is not as fast

Victor