[OS X TeX] auto-pst-pdf

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Aug 13 11:36:10 EDT 2009

On Aug 12, 2009, at 8:08 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Aug 12, 2009, at 5:48 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>

>> On Aug 12, 2009, at 3:36 AM, Doris Wagner wrote:

>>> third:
>>>
>>> I can't find a file called pst-pdfmk.engine anywhere in ~/Li*/Te*/
>>> Engines
>>> or anywhere else... where should this be???
>>>

>>> thanx very much for your help!
>>>

>>> doris
>>>

>> Howdy,
>>
>> That kind of explains why the rest didn't work!
>>
>> The first trial with pdflatexmk doesn't work (latexmk gets into a
>> run on condition [6=infinity for latexmk]) because files are being
>> updated behind latexmk's back and it keeps seeing the updated files
>> and wants to run again. That's why I made the pst-pdfmk engine;
>> latexmk recursively controls all the processing steps needed.
>>
>> If you really don't have the pst-pdfmk engine file look into ~/
>> Library/TeXShop/Engines/Inactive/Latexmk/ and move the engines
>> there into the Engines folder. I'm not sure why you have pdflatexmk
>> but not the others.
>>
>> You can always dowwnload the latest version of latexmk (4.08 right
>> now) along with all the other needed files (to be placed in ~/
>> Library/TeXShop/bin/ and .../Engines/) with instructions, etc., as
>> Latexmk408TeXShop226.zip (don't worry about the 226 part) from <http://homepage.mac.com/herbs2
>> >.
>>
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Herb Schulz
>> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)
>>

> Howdy,
>
> Sigh... since auto-pst-pdf has it's own macro definitions (i.e., it
> adds things to pst-pdf) and the sample file uses those macros the
> best thing to do is first make a single run of pdflatex (i.e. use
> the pdflatex [no mk] engine) to allow auto-pst-pdf to create the
> figure file (with the cross reference). Once the figures file is
> built add the `off' option to the auto-pst-pdf usepackage (i.e.,
> \usepackage[off,...]{auto-pst-pdf}) so it no longer re-creates the
> figures file and from then on you can use the pdflatexmk engine.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

Howdy,

Hmmm... until I can figure out how auto-pst-pdf is doing its internal
compilations so that the internal cross-references work properly the
pst-pdfmk engine will not support this behavior. At least temporarily
my recommendation for the processing of the figures and then the rest
of the document given above is the best answer.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)