[OS X TeX] broken tex distribution

Richard Koch koch at math.uoregon.edu
Fri Aug 14 14:31:58 EDT 2009

Felix,

I added a line of code in TeXShop to protect against out of bound
errors for DefaultScript.

On Aug 14, 2009, at 10:56 AM, Felix Grasser wrote:

> Hello Everybody,
>
> My old TeXShop.plist preferences file contained a value of 1 for the
> "DefaultScript" key. ... Changing that value from 1 to 100 (as it
> would be in a preferences file auto-generated by TeXShop 2.28) has
> cured both the error and the strange selection state of the Typeset
> menu.
>
> 1)	What is the significance of a value of 1 or 100 for the
> "DefaultScript" key?

This preference should have values 100 = PdfTeX, 101 = TeX + DVI, or
102 = Personal Script. When setting it using the Preference Panel, the
value is picked up from a tag on a button. It is possible that this
tag was incorrectly set in a past version of TeXShop (and if so,
probably in one of the localized nibs)

> 2)	Still with a value of 1, why is the error not thrown when  a "% !
> TEX TS-program = pdflatex" comment is present in the source file but
> is thrown when a "% !TEX TS-program = pdflatexmk" or no "% !TEX TS-
> program = xxx" comment is present in the source file.

This question is less interesting than it appears(!). It's a matter of
tracing through the code which selects the typesetting engine, and
watching what happens when an unexpected value of DefaultScript is used.

> 3)	What might be the difference between the auto-generated ~/Library/
> TeXShop/ folder and my version? The auto-generated version throws an
> error with a plist file containing "DefaultScript" = 1 while my old
> version does not.

I have no idea.

Dick Koch