[OS X TeX] Command line question

François Chaplais francois.chaplais at mines-paristech.fr
Mon Aug 31 16:12:29 EDT 2009

Hi I am LaTeX Mac user  and I also use a programming environment
called revolution ( http://www.runrev.com ) which is roughly a
successor to hypercard. This environment can send commands to the
shell for execution. I want to use it to run pdflatex on a text file.

My Tex install is a 2008 release (the one that is currently available
at http://www.tug.org/mactex/ ). System is 10.5.8 (not SL)

This revolution code works (i.e. I get the right pdf and a result
string which is equal to the content of the log file). "--" indicates
comments.

      set the shellcommand to "/bin/bash" -- this set the shell to
bash as in terminal
      set the defaultfolder to theFolder -- this sets the folder where
the command line will be executed
								--- to the string in the variable "theFolder" -- like "cd"
      answer shell("/usr/local/texlive/2008/bin/universal-darwin/
pdflatex" && last item of theFilePath)
			-- this runs the string between parentheses in the previously
defined shell and
			-- displays the output of pdflatex

This also works with sh and tcsh.

However, if I replace
	"/usr/local/texlive/2008/bin/universal-darwin/pdflatex"
by
	"pdflatex"
in the previous code, I get the error string "pdflatex: Command not
found.". Using sh or tcsh returns the same error.

I very much would like the second command ("pdflatex") to work, as it
is rather universal (and it works in the terminal).

I know that this is a cross environment problem, but I suspect this
could be better solved by mac TeX wise men rather than by the
revolution community.

TIA
	François