[OS X TeX] font cache bug

David Messerschmitt messer at eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu Dec 3 19:57:16 EST 2009

Do you happen to have MS Office 2008 installed?
I am still using TeX Live 2008 (supposedly patched to repair the font
cache bug) with OS 10.5.
However, I still see frequent font problems with TexShop viewer
(roughly one out of every three typesettings). These problems began when
I installed MS Office 2008. On the MS support forums they noted this
general
problem (font caches, not specifically Latex) and claimed that
uninstalling MS Office 2008 and
custom installing it without fonts would solve the problem. I tried,
and it doesnt help TexShop.

I am hoping that Live 2009 will help, but am waiting for TexShop to be
updated before
installing it.

-dgm

On Dec 3, 2009, at 2:46 PM, Samuel Lelievre wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I recently read about the font cache bug on the mactex website,
> http://www.tug.org/mactex/2009/fontcache/fix-font-cache-bug.html
> and having understood from what I read that it was now fixed,
> I decided to update from TeX Live 2007 to to TeX-Live 2009 just
> for the sake of that. However I still see manifestations of the
> font cache bug quite often...  Could it be because of using the
> lmodern package?  (have the lmodern fonts been decontaminated?)
>
> Regards,
> Samuel
> TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
> List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

David Messerschmitt
Roger Strauch Professor Emeritus
Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences
University of Californa at Berkeley
     and
Visiting Professor
Helsinki University of Technology