[OS X TeX] TL09 and -eps-converted-to.pdf

Themis Matsoukas matsoukas at engr.psu.edu
Fri Dec 4 11:35:12 EST 2009

I updated to TL 2009 and and I noticed that the eps-to-pdf conversion is now different. I save my graphs as eps (e.g. fig1.eps), invoke the graphic using \includegraphics{fig1}, and use epstopdf to do the conversion as needed. If the file fig1.pdf does not exist, TL2009 creates a new file with the name fig1-eps-converted-to.pdf (instead of fig1.pdf, in TL08), and this file is apparently used in subsequent compilations. If I just drop fig1.eps on texshop, then I get a file with the name  fig1.pdf;  if this file is present, TL09 uses this file and does not generate a  fig1-eps-converted-to.pdf.  Why the two different names? This is not a problem as much an annoyance because I don't like the longer name (some of my graphics have rather long names to begin with).

Themis