[OS X TeX] A little help needed (math formula problem)

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Thu Dec 17 18:51:02 EST 2009

Hi Pete and Joe,

On 18/12/2009, at 8:17 AM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> --
> Greetings
>
>   Pete
>
> There's something the technicians need to learn from the artists.
> If it isn't aesthetically pleasing, it's probably wrong.

You couldn't have said it better.
It especially applies to examples like on Joe's page,
which people may refer to and copy.
So let's get them right, both technically and aesthetically.

A glaring example is:   sphere_volume.tex
where there are aesthetic errors (to my mind) on every line.

  line 1. the variable name  Volume  should be  \mathrm{Volume} .

  line 2. the 'differential d' at the end of the integrals could be
          made upright (e.g. \,\phi\mathrm{d}\phi )
          The MathML rendering does it this way.
          BTW, it's good to see that preceding thinspace.

  line 3.
      A.  the "evaluation-bars" after integration are far too large
          instead of  \biggl|  use  \Bigr| .
        (the 'l' is technically wrong, as this is a closing fence
         around the integrated expression, and may result in too
         little space before it)

      B.  \frac{\rho^3}{3}  would look better as  (\tfrac13 \rho^3)
          which also reduces the size needed for the evaluation-bar.

  line 4. Using just a space for implicit multiplication starts to
          look very cumbersome when if forces a need for lots of
          parentheses. Personally I'd write this line as:

             2\pi \times 2 \times \tfrac13 R^3

          which is both shorter and clearer in the source,
          as well as producing a cleaner, more readable rendering
          which saves on vertical space as a bonus.

  line 5. the fraction 4/3 dominates the final result,
          yet it is the least meaningful term in that expression
          of a physical quantity.
          Use:   \tfrac43 \pi R^3

The attached image allows you to see the difference
between your coding, and with these modifications.