[OS X TeX] CocoaSpell/Leopard

Themis Matsoukas matsoukas at engr.psu.edu
Tue Dec 22 11:13:39 EST 2009

My cocoaspell installation seems broken. I removed it, reinstalled it and here is what I get now,  depending on the dictionary I choose:

--Using "English [variant_0](Aspell)", *all* english words are marked as mispelled, with the sole exception of latex commands.

--Using "English (United States) [w_accents] (Aspell)", *no* word is flagged (i.e spelling check does not work).

--Using "U.S. English", I get normal OS spell checking (typos and latex commands are flagged).

For these experiments I am changing dictionary through the menu, Edit/Spelling and Grammar/Show Spelling and Grammar (or command+:) and choosing a dictionary from the pulldown menu.  On the other hand, in Preferences/Language and Text/Text/Spelling, the dictionary was set to  "English (United States) [w_accents] (Aspell)" and was not changed. The multiple places for specifying dictionaries (in the spelling window of the application, and separately in preferences) is most confusing.

In the attached screenshot the word "coefficient" is flagged and the suggestions include, "coifing", "Fascist", and ..."loveseat". As word associations these are brilliant, but I want my spleling back!

Themis