[OS X TeX] Chapter Index

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 22:19:32 EST 2009

On Dec 28, 2009, at 9:14 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Dec 28, 2009, at 6:33 PM, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>
>> For each chapter of a book, I would like to have an index at the
>> end of the chapter.
>>
>> The various ChapterNtext.tex of the book are included in a source
>> file, BookRoot.tex.
>> But, in order to work on individual chapters, I also have
>> individual root files, ChapterNroot.tex .
>>
>> So, by having \printindex in each ChapterNroot.tex, I have an
>> index at the end of the chapter when I typeset it with
>> ChapterNroot.tex.
>>
>> What I would like, though, is to have these chapter indexes also
>> when I typeset with BookRoot.tex
>>
>> In other words, something similar to what I get with titletoc (a
>> companion to the titlesec package), namely both chapter tocs and a
>> book toc.
>>
>> I could not find anything like titledoc for indexes.
>>
>> Hopeful regards
>> --schremmer
>
> Howdy,
>
> Don't know if this will do the job you want but take a look at the
> multind package.

I don't know either but I don't think I am going to find out anytime
soon as CTAN says that No Documentation, on or off, is known.

But then CTAN has a couple more:

--- splitidx which, with "a small program, splitindex" can produce
several indexes. But it seems to me that these indexes must be at the
end of the book. The doc, though, explains that

Most packages, which allows more than one index, open more than one raw
index file. Each of these files costs a write file handle. TEX has
only 16 of these.
LATEX itself needs some of these for e.g. .aux, .toc, .lot, .lof and
maybe other
more or less temporary files, depends on what you are doing.

---index which "supports multiple indexes in a single document" but,
sure enough, "In the current implementation, index.sty uses one
output stream for each index. Since there are a limited number of
output indexes, this means that there is a limit on the number of
indexes you can have in a document. See the description of
\disableindex for a fuller discussion of this problem and one way
around it."

Namely:

"One situation where the \disableindex command might be
useful is if there are so many indexes that you are exhausting TEX’s
supply of
output streams4 . For example, suppose you have 10 indexes, but only
5 output
streams available for indexes. Then you could add a \disableindex
command
to the top of your file to suppress the writing of all but 5 of the
indexes. (Note
that the index entries would still get written to the aux file; they
just wouldn’t get
copied to the individual raw index files at the end of the run.) At
the end of the
run, you could then re-run your main file a couple of times with
different indexes
disabled until you had created all of the raw index files. This is
somewhat clumsy,
but safer than any alternative I’ve come up with . (A less clumsy
(for the user, at least) solution would be to read the aux file
multiple times at the end of the run, each time writing just one of
the raw index files. The main disadvantage of
this scheme at present is that it would require a modification of
\enddocument)"

That looks like something for you.

As for myself, I think that I am totally out of luck.

Still, it is an "interesting problem"

Best regards
--schremmer