[OS X TeX] cmr8 not in mapping file

David Arnold dwarnold45 at suddenlink.net
Thu Dec 31 19:49:46 EST 2009

Herbert, Michael, et al,

i just posted this on mactex at tug.org.

At one time we had a workaround for a problem we were having with our system. The solution was described as follows:

We have a workaround. It may not be optimal, but it works for us. What we did was download Fontmap.cmr.

http://www.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/fonts/cm/ps-type1/contrib/Fontmap.cmr

We dropped this file in:

/usr/local/share/ghostscript/8.63/lib/

In that same directory, we adjusted the file Fontmap to read:

%!
% See Fontmap.GS for the syntax of real Fontmap files.
%% Replace 1 (Fontmap.GS)
(Fontmap.GS) .runlibfile
(Fontmap.cmr) .runlibfile

We then adjusted our bash shell, adding this line:

export GS_LIB=/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/

However, as of Mactex 2009 (the latest), the directory /usr/local/share/ghostscript/8.70/lib/ does not have a file named Fontmap. In addition, there is no directory usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/.

I'd like to know how I can try to use Fontmap.cmr again, whose contents look like this:

% file Fontmap.cmr, last change 2001-04-27
%
% This file make the Computer Modern font files by Donald Ervin Knuth
% and other fonts distributed e.g. with the tetex TeX distribution
% http://www.tug.org/tetex/ available to ghostscript.
%
% Copyright © 2000, 2001 Karsten Tinnefeld.  All rights reserved.
% Corresponding author: Karsten Tinnefeld <karsten at tinnefeld.com>
%
% This file is free software, licensed under the terms of the
% GNU lesser public license, either version 2.1 or any consecutive,
% as being obtainable from http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/lesser.html or
% FSF Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA.
%
% Check the canonical place for new versions of this file:
%   ftp://dante.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/cm/ps-type1/contrib/Fontmap.cmr
% or one of its "CTAN" mirror sites.  For ghostscript, please check
%   http://www.ghostscript.com
%
% Apply this file by moving it to the library directory of your
% ghostscript installation (typically share/ghostscript/VERSION/lib)
% and adding the command "(Fontmap.cmr) .runlibfile" to the end of
% your "Fontmap" file in the same directory.  Symlink each pfa/pfb file
% in the texmf/fonts/type1 tree of your local TeX installation to
% share/ghostscript/fonts or add these directories to the GS_FONTPATH
% environment variable.
%
% Section: bluesky/cm
% License:
%   Copyright (C) 1997 American Mathematical Society. All Rights Reserved.
%
/CMB10                          (cmb10.pfb)                     ;
/CMBSY10                        (cmbsy10.pfb)                   ;
/CMBX10                         (cmbx10.pfb)                    ;
/CMBX12                         (cmbx12.pfb)                    ;

David