[OS X TeX] Re : "Non-PDF special ignored"

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun Feb 1 10:02:08 EST 2009

On Feb 1, 2009, at 12:35 AM, <ewan.Delanoy at math.unicaen.fr> <ewan.Delanoy at math.unicaen.fr
 > wrote:

> Howdy,
>
>> You are trying to compile using pdflatex (the default) which doesn't
>> understand eps input. You need to compile using the TeX+Ghostscript
>> (latex->dvips->ps2pdf) script. The easiest way to do this is by
>> putting the line
>
>> %!TEX program = latex
>
>> at the top fo the file. Then TeXShop will automatically use the TeX
>> +Ghostscript script to compile the file.
>
>   I tried that, it doesn't work on my Mac. The circles are still
> invisible,
> the message "Non-PDF special ignored" still appears, and the
> console's output
> starts with "This is pdfeTeX(...)"
>
>   By the way, how could a commented line change the output ? LaTeX
> won't
> read it.
>
>                                                                        Ewan

Howdy,

Since you're using an old version of TeXShop try using the line

%&latex

as the first line in the file. This is fairly portable. Also, once
that line is there use in TeXShop use the Typeset->Typeset (Cmd-T)
command and TeXShop should use the TeX+Ghostscript script for compiling.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)