[OS X TeX] fontenc documentation...

Franck Pastor franck.pastor at skynet.be
Mon Feb 2 04:43:36 EST 2009

Le 2 févr. 09 à 10:21, Jean-Christophe Helary a écrit :

> Frank,
>
> Thank you very much for the link.
>
> So, my new understanding is that we need both {fontenc} and
> {inputenc} because there are some non overlaping cases...
>
> Which means:
> 1) {fontenc} and {inputenc} encodings come is pairs, like [T1] for
> {fontenc} and [latin1] for {inputenc}
>
> 2) considering the range of {inputenc} possible values, only
> European languages (including central and eastern) are covered by
> the {fontenc}/{inputenc} pairs.
>

> Still, I have trouble understanding why:
>
> 1) my "document 1" properly interpreted "\'e" without {fontenc}

> 2) my "document 2" properly interpreted "\'e" without {fontenc}
>
> 3) my "document 3" properly interpreted "é" without file encoding
> information

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard has some good answers to these questions, I
think (same link, message 10).

> Jean-Christophe Helary
>
> ps: I am still looking for formal {fontenc} reference in the MacTex
> package. Anybody has an idea where I can find that ?

No idea… It seems that there is no proprer documentation attached to
fontenc in MacTeX, nor in CTAN, and that's a pity. All the relevant
information I've got over it come from the TeX FAQ, the LaTeX
companion and Bernard Desgraupes's  book, « LaTeX, apprentissage,
guide et référence ».