[OS X TeX] XeLaTeX from TeXShop

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Feb 6 21:58:19 EST 2009

On Feb 6, 2009, at 7:44 PM, George Gratzer wrote:

> But pray compare the sweaty hour I spent re-installing Lucida with
> the elegance of XeLaTeX. But your point is well taken. I use Lucida
> because I must, if I write articles for the Notices.
>
> GG

Howdy,

I use Lucida for most things I write. I really like it!

However, if I'm writing something that needs to look a bit different
or is complemented by a particular font that I have on my system AND
I'm only going to distribute the final pdf I really like XeLaTeX! For
me it definitely has a special use.

Also note that if you are writing in non-English languages of any sort
the ability to use the system's fonts is a fantastic advantage.

I always save a copy of my texmf-local and store it away... just in
case... then I can simply copy it back if I have to install TeX on a
new/other system. I've written a short shell script that lives in
texmf-local/scripts/ for installing the fonts I'e added so that goes
along for the ride. I tend to do things like that once I have to re-do
something more than once. I also fairly religiously use SuperDuper! to
make a bootable clone of my system. I guess I over-value my work
(well, someone has to). :-)

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)