[OS X TeX] Lucida again

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Feb 11 16:17:33 EST 2009

On Feb 11, 2009, at 2:56 PM, David B. Thompson, Ph.D., P.E., D.WRE,
CFM wrote:

> On Feb 11, 2009, at 12:45, George Gratzer wrote:
>
>> And how fast. Since I am not working within invisible folders with
>> permission problems, I just dragged the Lucida folder's content
>> into the new texmf folder, did the sudo, and pronto.
>

> I keep all of my local modifications in this directory since I
> learned that it was read by MacTeX. It's a marvelous tool.
>
> I expanded the idea by using a symlink from that location to a
> directory on my external drive (portable) that I carry to work and
> back. I use my desktop at home and my notebook at the office. I have
> only one local tree to maintain using this trick.
>
> From the terminal:
>
> thompson$ ls -l
> lrwxr-xr-x    1 thompson  thompson        25 Nov  3 08:53 texmf -> /
> Volumes/Documents/texmf/
> -rw-r--r--    1 thompson  thompson  13247792 Oct 29 08:57 texmf.zip
>
> I made a backup of my local tree, I see. That can be deleted now
> that everything is working. (Fossils!) /Volumnes/Documents is the
> drive that follows me everywhere. (One of two -- the other is my
> SuperDuper! backup for my notebook.)
>

>> I do update the clone daily, but I assume that I also export the
>> corruptions...
>

> I worry about this too. I considered a hierarchy of clones on
> several drives, but decided I was being paranoid. (Are they really
> out to get me???? ;)
>
> Best...
>
> -=d

Howdy,

There are caveats no matter what method you use. If you have an older
version of some package, that is now part of MacTeX/TeX Live, in your
personal tree, or even the texmf-local tree, you may suddenly get
unexpected errors in compilation. If tings like that occur make sure
to carefully look at the paths listed in the log file.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)