[OS X TeX] Adding new class

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 03:19:42 EST 2009

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 1:38 AM, Franck Pastor <franck.pastor at skynet.be> wrote:

> Le 13-févr.-09 à 06:50, gulatiakshay a écrit :
>
>> I added new class to /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base but
>> when i come to texshop and try to run that class, it is not identifying that
>> class. and I am getting error all other classes are in that folder and it is
>> identifying those classes. Also i used texnic centre on windows few months
>> back there i had a option of updating the whole latex stuff but i am not
>> able to find any in mactex
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Akshay
>
> Hello,
>
> You probably forgot to run
>
> sudo mktexlsr
>
> on your Terminal, before using your class.

Most likely

> By the way, It would probably have been better to add your new class to the
> following folder instead
>
> ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex

or to /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/tex/latex/ (in which case running
sudo texhash (texhash is aliased to mktexlsr but easier to remember).
However is a VERY BAD IDEA to change texmf-dist manually. One needs to
run

% tlmgr  install package
% tlmgr update package (--all)

to install package here (only packages which are part of TeXLive 2008
distribution are controlled this way and only these packages shoul;d
be in texmf-dist)

HTH

Victor