[OS X TeX] Input encoding question

Richard Koch koch at math.uoregon.edu
Fri Feb 20 01:36:03 EST 2009

PS:

On Feb 19, 2009, at 8:30 PM, Axel E. Retif wrote:

> I think that by using applemac you're risking some future
> incompatibilities ---Apple itself is abandoning the encoding; please
> see
>
> http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/unicode.html

This is misleading. The linked document is a general description of
unicode; it contains the word Macintosh exactly once.

Obviously Apple and other computer manufacturers have embraced unicode
strongly. Internally Cocoa's TextEdit class uses unicode, programmers
generally use NSStrings (which contain unicode) instead of ascii
strings, etc.

On the other hand, in Cocoa when you write a string to disk or read it
back, you MUST specify an encoding even if you want to preserve
unicode, because there is no one standard file encoding for unicode.
So we are very, very, very far from a day when Apple would say
"everything is unicode, there is just one disk encoding for unicode,
and we are dropping all of this obsolete encoding stuff."

The TeX world is moving toward unicode: see XeTeX and luaTeX and other
developments. On the other hand, compatibility with older sources is
unusually important in the TeX world, so I expect that a wide range of
encodings will work as long as TeX itself survives.

Dick Koch