[OS X TeX] citep and citet did not work in MacOSX-TeXShop

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Feb 21 18:23:04 EST 2009

On Feb 21, 2009, at 4:54 PM, Alan Munn wrote:

> At 8:55 AM +1100 2/22/09, Chris Skeels wrote:
>> On 22/2/09 6:07 AM, "Alan Munn" <amunn at msu.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> This code won't really help, since we don't have access to your bib
>>> file or your bibliography style. (There is no natbib bibliography
>>> style per se, just bst files that work with natbib.  Perhaps you
>>> meant to use the plainnat style?
>>
>> %%
>> %% This is file `natbib.bst', generated
>> %% on <1995/5/9> with the docstrip utility (2.2i).
>> %%
>> %% The original source files were:
>> %%
>> %% merlin.mbs  (with options: `head,\MBopts')
>> %% physjour.mbs  (with options: `\MBopts')
>> %% merlin.mbs  (with options: `tail,\MBopts')
>> %% (\def\MBopts{ay,nat,seq-key,nm-rev,dt-beg,yr-par,note-yr,vol-bf,
>> %%              volp-com,isbn,jabr,etal-it} )
>> %% ----------------------------------------
>> %% *** Sample .bst file for use with NATBIB.STY (v5.3 or later) ***
>> %%
>
> [snip]
>
> Odd. It doesn't exist on my system.
>
> This is BibTeX, Version 0.99c (Web2C 7.5.7)
> The top-level auxiliary file: natbib-citet.aux
> I couldn't open style file natbib.bst
> ---line 2 of file natbib-citet.aux
> : \bibstyle{natbib
> :                 }
> I'm skipping whatever remains of this command
> I found no style file---while reading file natbib-citet.aux
> (There were 2 error messages)
>
> Looking for it doesn't succeed, and I have both TL 2007 and TL 2008.
>
> $  locate natbib.bst
> $
>
> But this doesn't really help with OPs request anyway, since we don't
> know what the problem is.
>

> --
> Alan Munn						amunn at msu.edu

Howdy,

I don't think it's part of TeX Live 2008. I've even generated
natbib.sty from the ins/dtx source and it want' produced.

Also, the information from the heading of the natbib.bst file that was
presented didn't even mention the \citep and \cited commands. Try the
plainnat bibliography style and see what happens.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)