[OS X TeX] Adding text, etc. to figures... why don't we just do it like this...

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Sun Feb 22 05:18:23 EST 2009

On  21 Feb, 2009, at 07:57, Joseph C. Slater PE, PhD wrote:

> I used to be a big fan of psfrag before pdtex. pdftricks, etc.,
> isn't quite as convenient (I might have the names wrong). I had to
> get something done quickly the other day and put $k_1$ on a figure,
> and simply did the following.
>
> \includegraphics[]{fig.jpg}\hspace*{-2.4in}\raisebox{1.2in}{$k_1$}

I didn't see a mention of it, so let me tell you that what I've been
using is the ``old'' (1997) but amazingly robust overpic package. If
you want to see the one page manual (yes, *one* page),

/usr/local//texlive/2008/texmf-dist/doc/latex/overpic

`` texdoc overpic '' doesn't work, because the 28kB picture it uses
for the example is gzipped (remember: 1997). So you might want to copy
the above overpic directory (36kB) to your desktop and typeset it
there. It will only take you a minute to decide if you care to use the
package.

I've been using overpic not only in the figure environment, but also
in the wrapfigure (wrapfig.sty) and SCfigure (sidecap.sty) environments.

Best,

Axel