[OS X TeX] Adding text, etc. to figures... why don't we just do it like this...

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 06:51:35 EST 2009

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 5:19 AM, Ralph Martin
<Ralph.Martin at cs.cardiff.ac.uk> wrote:

> On 21 Feb 2009, at 1:57:12PM, Joseph C. Slater PE, PhD wrote:

>> \includegraphics[]{fig.jpg}\hspace*{-2.4in}\raisebox{1.2in}{$k_1$}
>>
>> Am I missing something, or why are some of the other tools necessary? Is
>> this just not robust enough? Granted, it took a few compiles to get the
>> positioning right.
>
> This is a very bad idea if you are writing papers for journals or
> conferences.. If the publisher needs or wants to adjust the size of your
> figure for some reason, it will break. This will give the publisher a major
> headache., as I know from personal experience of dealing with papers
> containing such "clever" tricks.

Yes - things will begin to break as article develops and changes are
made and no - one can encapsulate this (say graphics pic1.pdf +
overprinting text) in fig1.tex, process it and then use fig1.pdf as a
graphics source for main.tex.  The drawback (in comparison with
overprinting in main.tex) is that scaling graphics scales text (and
also hyperlinks would break) but it is still better than run away text

Victor