[OS X TeX] citep and citet did not work in MacOSX-TeXShop

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Feb 27 19:21:24 EST 2009

On Feb 27, 2009, at 5:48 PM, Danny Baillie wrote:

> Hi Herb,
>
> Thanks for the messages. Yes, I was way behind in latexmk. The new
> version works fine both on the sample file and, thankfully, on my
> main file.
>
> So now my question is: how do I find out what other things may be
> out of date in my installation of TeXShop/MacTeX?
>
> I've kept up to date with TeXShop (2.25) and I've redownloaded and
> installed MacTeX-2008.mpkg today. I ran "sudo -H tlmgr update --all"
> with the updated tlmgr. Still the version of latexmk shown was 3.08n
> (I guess since it isn't a package and it isn't TeXShop it isn't
> updated automatically), which (according to http://www.phys.psu.edu/~collins/software/latexmk-jcc/versions.html
>  ) was out of date in August 2007. So, I had to install it
> individually using your .zip file.

Howdy,

I don't think there is anything you can do to guarantee that
everything is up to date.

You don't need it any more but there are things you can do to help.

In terms of latexmk, TeXShop 2.25 actually has the latest latexmk
(4.04) embedded within it (by dumb luck I got it to Dick Koch just
before he was ready to release 2.25). The way you can get it is to
move the ~/Library/TeXShop/ folder to the Desktop and restart TeXShop.
You'd have to enable the engines by following the directions in ~/
Library/TeXShop/Engines/Inactive/Latexmk/ but the other files (in
TeXShop/bin/) are already present. But then any customizations and
engines you've written would have to be moved back. I suggested using
the install I put up on my download site because your version was so
old that all of the engine, *.rc and *.sh files that go along with it
were updated too. If you check my download site every once in a while
you could catch some occasional updates.

For updating the TeX distribution I'd start to use the TeX Live
Utility which is a very nice GUI interface for the update options of
tlmgr. It should have been installed in /Applications/TeX/ or one of
its sub-directories.

> I'm not complaining, and it's not even a feature request, just a
> friendly query: how do I make sure I'm up to date with everything
> TeXShop/MacTeX so I don't waste another couple of days isolating
> something else that has already been fixed? I had thought that check-
> for-updates/sparkle in TeXShop and MacTeX-2008.mpkg + tlmgr would be
> enough. Is there another update manager, or is there a list
> somewhere of files that I should check manually periodically? And,
> what's the likelihood that there are other things that aren't on the
> list, if such a list does exist?

In general it's really only necessary to update when things start to
fail; like your file not compiling correctly which lead to this whole
thing. So take it easy and don't worry.

> Also, now that latexmk is working for me, is there an option to get
> it to tell you at the end whether there are undefined references or
> citations? As it stands, I have to scroll back up through two pages
> of output on the console to see if there were any warnings before it
> did the dvips+ps2pdf.
>
> Thanks again,
> Danny

Nope... but latexmk may quit with a failure message if it gets into an
``infinite'' loop; it will do no more than 5 (or is that 6?)
consecutive runs of (xe/pdf)latex.

You still need to look in the log file (you can look into the log file
within TeXShop 2.25) or console output.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)