[OS X TeX] Kanbun (漢文) and French...

Jean-Christophe Helary fusion at mx6.tiki.ne.jp
Fri Jan 2 07:55:31 EST 2009

I am looking for the (relatively) simplest way to typeset a French
booklet (~50 pages) about kanbun.

There are basically 5 parts. The first is all in French (preface etc).
The second is in French and comes with numerous examples in kanbun.
The layout is:

----------------
explanations
(col 1) transcription and translation
(col 2) kanbun example
----------------

Then there is an all French part (transcriptions and translations),
and an all kanbun part (texts transcribed and translated in the third
part). The last part is a series of short biographical notices for the
studied text authors.

The booklet itself was created on a typewriter in 85 and all the
kanbun is hand-written.

With a proper typesetting environment it should be possible to mix
more kanbun/Japanese in the French text and considerably prettify the
whole thing.

I've spend pretty much all of yesterday looking for a solution, but
since I am not a user of TeX/LateX I was a little lost. What I
understood though was that the kanbun part was the most complex, and
that is the part I really do not want to mess.

Any suggestion ?

Jean-Christophe Helary