Re: [OS X TeX] Kanbun (漢文) and French...

Jean-Christophe Helary fusion at mx6.tiki.ne.jp
Fri Jan 2 21:12:58 EST 2009

On samedi 03 janv. 09, at 01:23, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 02.01.2009 um 17:09 schrieb Jean-Christophe Helary:
>
>> Regarding the kanbun part, I am not sure it is that simple. Because
>> kanbun requires at least 2 signs in addition to the kanji: the
>> okuri-gana (bottom-right) and the kaeri-ten (bottom left).
>

> I don't understand what you wrote. I presume that you just need to
> select a font that has these 16 glyphs, and you're done. The
> Hiragino fonts that come with Mac OS X have them – or we wouldn't
> see your subject! Ahemm, these two glyphs are not taken from the
> Kanbun block ... (U+3190…319F)

It looks like I need special packages, according to:
http://www.geocities.co.jp/HeartLand-Icho/9917/tex.htm

For example, if you check the lower third of this page:
http://www.klavis.info/tategaki.html

the character [不], a character found in classical Chinese texts,
needs to be annotated with the string [ざ] at its upper right to
indicate its root Japanese pronunciation, the string [ル] at its
bottom right to indicate its variable ending Japanese reading, and the
string [レ] at its bottom left to indicate its position in a
recomposed sentence based on Japanese syntax.

The first string is usually not required.
That last string belongs to the Kanbun block (although it is also a
"normal" Japanese sign).

One of the package involved provides the author with a command that
goes like this:

\kundoku{不}{ざ}{ル}{レ}

Where you have:

\kundoku{1}{2}{3}{4}

{1}=any character used in classical Chinese kanbun texts
{2}=the character reading in classical Japanese
{3}=the extra readings specific to Japanese
{4}=the position mark in the Japanese syntax

So it is not really only about having to select a font, but rather
about having specific commands that properly display the 4 elements
combination.

But I am still struggling to property display French...

Jean-Christophe Helary