Re: [OS X TeX] Kanbun (漢文) and French...

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sun Jan 4 05:06:31 EST 2009

Am 04.01.2009 um 02:37 schrieb Jean-Christophe Helary:

> Besides, I could not find ptex in MacTex. Am I missing something ?

No, no! The tex and latex binaries are useful for millions of Latin
script users, while ptex could be useful for one or two billion
people that use CJK scripts. It's a small difference (and TeXShop is
prepared for it). Could be it's also a licenses issue: pTeX was
developed by a newspaper, I think. And pTeX can use OT fonts!

>>> But I am still struggling to property display French...
>>
>> I'll send you privately a file that *will* do!
>
> I received the file (this morning). Thank you very much.
>
> Currently here is what I am using. I suppose that is the smallest
> preamble possible for my text, and I'm fine with it for the moment:
>
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{fontspec}
> \usepackage[french]{babel}
> \setmainfont{Times}
> \newcommand{\cjk}[1]{{\fontspec[Scale=0.8]{Hiragino Mincho Pro}#1}}

The latter statement is not OK, even when it's from Jonathan Kew.
Every time you use it a new instance of this font is created –
instead of referencing the original declaration. You run in the
danger that you can't allocate another instance of this font for
another one-time use. It's OK for using it just once. Maybe twice,
for lazy people. Read again the fontspec manual and also browse
through the XeTeX mailing list! Or look up one of my recent eMails ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

Isn't vi that text editor with two modes... one that beeps and one
that corrupts your file?
				– Dan Jacobson, on comp.os.linux.advocacy