Re: Documentation (was Re: [OS X TeX] Kanbun (漢文) and French...)

Jean-Christophe Helary fusion at mx6.tiki.ne.jp
Sun Jan 4 10:42:23 EST 2009

On lundi 05 janv. 09, at 00:25, cfrees at imapmail.org wrote:

> Well, TNR is obviously not an option since it is not free.

I only mentioned TNR because it was the font discussed in the quote I
used.

> The default must be guaranteed to be available on all the platforms
> TeX runs on.

No. It certainly must not. There are software ways to test which
platform the application is running on to allow for settings specific
to that platform. Which means you could have a Windows default font, a
Mac default font and if the platform is not recognized for whatever
reason, use the application embedded default font.

> The default choices have to work in a huge variety of situations.

Indeed. And that is not the case with Computer Modern. Computer Modern
works for exactly 2 languages in the world. English, and a minority
language that uses exactly the same characters. _That_ is very far
from a "huge variety of situations".

> These are not _MacTeX_ choices at all.

Then what is the point of MacTex at all ? If MacTex is made for the
OSX, then I can't see how changing the TeX default font to use a font
provided by default by the OS is a problem ?

Jean-Christophe Helary