[OS X TeX] Re: table in math mode

John B. Thoo jthoo at yccd.edu
Wed Jan 7 01:16:52 EST 2009

On Jan 6, 2009, at 12:00 PM, in macosx-tex-request at email.esm.psu.edu
Alain Schremmer <schremmer.alain at gmail.com>wrote:

> Is there a way to have an entire table in math mode?
>
> In other words, is there a way to avoid having to put the content of
> each and every cell in math mode? (Say when all the entries are
> negative.)

I've have good luck with something like this:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{amsmath,amssymb}
\usepackage{array}
\begin{document}

\begin{tabular}{|>{$}l<{$}|l|} \hline
   \int_0^1 f(x) \;dx & a definite integral  \\\hline
\end{tabular}

\end{document}

However, to hijack your question, Schremer (sorry about that), I have
not had any luck with something like this, for example:

\begin{tabular}{|>{$\displaystyle{}l<{}$}|l|} \hline
   \int_0^1 f(x) \;dx & a definite integral  \\\hline
\end{tabular}

trying to enclose all input in the first column within

   \displaystyle{...}

Any suggestions on how to achieve something like this?  TIA.

---John.
(who receives the Digest for this list)