[OS X TeX] OgreKit does not reactivate the file it just worked on

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Jan 9 18:31:01 EST 2009

On Jan 9, 2009, at 5:15 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Jan 9, 2009, at 4:14 PM, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>
>> My "QuestionBase" is now built from a single template of which I
>> "just" fill-in copies. But, occasionally, I think of an improvement
>> in the template and, in order to keep things in line, I have to
>> make the change in very many already filled-in copies of the
>> template.
>>
>> Obviously, this should be a matter for Applescript but is far
>> beyond my admittedly very low capabilities in that regard. So, what
>> I do is open, say, 20 or 30 or these copies at a time (I am afraid
>> of TeXShop conking out on me), and:
>>
>> 0. Click on the top file (in case file 1 is not yet active),
>>
>> 1. Click Find
>> 2. Click Replace
>> 3. Click on the top file (to reactivate file 1),
>> 4. Command S
>> 5. Command W
>>
>> Now file 2 is automatically on top and active.
>>
>> 1. Click Find
>> etc
>>
>> Step 3 is the rhythm breaker and is needed because, after the
>> search and replace, OgreKit does not reactivate the file it just
>> did the search and replace on.
>>
>> At least in my case, such automatic reactivation would make much
>> sense.
>>
>> What does the people think?
>> Should that be a suggestion to the powers who are?
>>
>> Curious regards
>> --schremmer
>
> Howdy,
>
> If you are always finding a single thing and replacing it by another
> single thing in the many files and want to use this method you need
> only set the Find field and Replace field once. Do what you've been
> doing for the first file; then the Find and Replace fields are set.
> For the rest of the files just do a Find Next (Cmd-G) and then
> use Replace (hmmm... no shortcut in TeXShop for that so go to System
> Preferences->Keyboard and Mouse->Keyboard Shortcuts [this exists in
> 10.4.11 too] and add a shortcut for TeXShop [you'll press the + at
> the bottom and choose all applications and then work your way to
> TeXShop] only. The menu name is Replace and Ctl-Cmd-G [others may
> give conflicts] should be the shortcut. After saving re-open TeXShop
> and check that the Replace menu item has Ctl-Cmd-G as its shortcut)
> via the (new) shortcut Ctl-Cmd-G. That way there is no opening of
> the Find window at all.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

Howdy,

If the thing you're finding only appears once in the file you need not
create the shortcut at all! Just use Replace and Find Next (Opt-Cmd-G)
twice; the first time will find and select the item and the second
will replace and (unsuccessfully) look for the next find.

Sigh... Is Opt-Cmd-G assigned to Replace and Find Next in a plain old
TeXShop? I've added several keyboard shortcuts via System Preferences
and with system updates they stay active but the display in the
preference pane is lost.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)