[OS X TeX] Macintouch report on TeX versus Word

Warren Nagourney warren at phys.washington.edu
Mon Jan 19 14:42:58 EST 2009

I don't understand why NASA couldn't have provided latex macros and
style files for its publications. There are numerous ones out there
which could have been used with little modification. It shouldn't
have needed more than the part-time labor of one person to support
this. I am currently writing a book for Oxford University Press and
they supply a package for latex users and all scientific journals of
note do the same.

I despise Word with a passion due to its (unnecessary, in my opinion)
complexity, its proprietary nature and the fact that it is *not*
WYSIWIG, despite claims to the contrary. I wasted many hours in the
distant past fighting with this latter problem. TeX has a steep
learning curve but Latex has a much milder one and isn't that hard to
use with some good style packages. Excellent latex software is
available on every package for free (The best is probably on the
defunct NeXTstep machines - I keep a couple of these around for
things like this).

Cheers,

Warren Nagourney