[OS X TeX] Macintouch report on TeX versus Word

Wed Jan 21 20:04:32 EST 2009

On 22.01.2009, at 00:52, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> On Jan 21, 2009, at 7:05 PM, Themis Matsoukas wrote:
>
>> Let me recap this thread:
>>
>> We love latex, so much so that when we touch Word (rarely, mind
>> you) we feel the guilt of betraying someone beautiful. So, what if
>> NASA does not share this obsession?
>>
>> Oh my goodness -  did I just use "latex" and "obsession" in the
>> same email?
>
> I don't think you can ever be forgiven for saying "beautiful"
> rather than "absolutely and totally perfect".
>
> Regards
> --schremmer

Well, I just had to write a paper in OpenOffice instead of LaTeX
because at my department here they think that you can only make
electronic comments in .doc files.  I reassure you that after having
manually formatted my bibliography (just a small one, about 30 items)
and about 50 footnotes I did not feel like I had betrayed anyone. I
just felt frustrated and regretted that I had to deal with an
unpleasant task of manually formatting where LaTeX/BibTeX and their
front-ends would have made life a lot easier. So excuse my
stubbornness but it is not all about justifying a rare interest for
the sake of beauty.
But then again it seems pointless to have to make such a remark on a
mailing list like this and this thread is going increasingly OT. So
I'll leave it there and of course you are free to dislike Word at a
different degree than I do.
Regards,

Alex