[OS X TeX] Typesetting factor of 2 slower in Leopard

Warren Nagourney warren at phys.washington.edu
Wed Jan 21 20:53:19 EST 2009

I just installed Leopard on my G4 Powerbook and found that typesetting
in TeXshop is a factor of two slower than it was under Tiger
(10.4.11). I waited until the Spoghtlight indexing was done and
verified (using the Activity Monitor) that there was very little else
going on when I did the typeset. I also typeset twice in a row; both
took about the same time. There was very little disk activity
according to the Activity Monitor. After booting, with little else
active (and waiting until the disk settled down), it used to take
12-14 seconds to typeset my 245 page manuscript (an unfinished book);
now it takes about 28 sec. The processor setting in the preferences
(Energy Saving) is set at the highest.

I thought I might try to reinstall MacTeX. I am using the 2008
distribution (MacTeX-2008.mpkg). Do you think that might help?
Finally, are there any other pitfalls to using TeXshop with Leopard?

Thanks very much.

Warren Nagourney