[OS X TeX] Split PDF view

Joseph C. Slater PE, PhD joseph.slater at wright.edu
Sun Jan 25 12:10:38 EST 2009

On Jan 25, 2009, at 11:30 AM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 25.01.2009 um 17:23 schrieb Alain Schremmer:
>
>> I was wondering whether I am the only one to miss such features
>
> Probably not. Therefore GNU Emacs offers this. And even more you
> haven't imagined or found missing yet ...

It kind of does this. Alain is asking for the final PDF view to be
split, which Emacs doesn't display, unless I missed something very
recent with emacs (I'm viewing in Skim). What Emacs does have is
preview-latex which enables you to see a sufficiently formatted
version of your document within the source editing window, which can
be split far more than could even be usable. Top/bottom, side by side,
both, etc.

I do think it would sufficiently do what Alain wants, but I think he
want this inside TeXShop, along with many other features of Emacs.
That would undermine what TeXShop actually is, IMHO. One new feature
never does this, but they compound over time. I think Dick has the
right idea in being very conservative avoiding featuritis. It's killed
a lot of other projects, and he simply doesn't have the level of
assistance that the multi-platform Emacs has to implement feature
after feature. Emacs is actually pretty insane in the amount it does.
I can't imagine anyone knowing and using all of its capabilities.