[OS X TeX] Backslash Key

Paul Fons paul-fons at aist.go.jp
Mon Jan 26 21:42:29 EST 2009

  Hello from sunny Japan.  I have been a long time TeXShop user and
ran into a problem with version 2.20 that I hope there is a trivial
answer to.  I have a Japanese (JIS) keyboard on my mac.  In previous
versions of TeXShop, I was able to type a option-¥ (option - yen
character) to get a good old backslash.  In the new version nothing
happens with this key combination.  There is no backslash on the JIS
keyboard.  The background is that the ascii backslash character was
historically displayed as a yen (currency) symbol on Japanese
computers.  With ASCII, there was no real problem ( I typed the yen
character instead of a backslash and everything worked).  With the
advent of UTF, the yen and backslash characters are different
animals.  My question is -- how can I get a backslash with a JIS
keyboard (OS X 10.5.6, Mac Pro with JIS keyboard)?

Paul Fons