[OS X TeX] problem with latexit (blank output, no error)

Leonardo Gualtieri Leonardo.Gualtieri at roma1.infn.it
Wed Jul 1 14:21:46 EDT 2009

On Wed, 1 Jul 2009, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 01.07.2009 um 18:21 schrieb Leonardo Gualtieri:
>
>> Output written on latexit-1.pdf (1 page, 5466 bytes).
>
> Can you open this and the other PDF files in PDF viewers?

Yes, if I go in the temporary folder where they are stored I find
the following:

- in that folder there are latexit-1.tex, latexit-1-2.tex and the
corresponding pdf files; the first tex file creates a 1-page pdf
document with the formula, the second tex file load the first pdf
file and cut it in a small pdf square

- if I execute (on the terminal) "pdflatex latexit-1.tex" I produce a 1
   page file with the correct formula

- if I then exexute "pdflatex latexit-1-2.tex", I produce a small white
   square with no formula; I tried to change the crop command in the latex
   file with no result

A strange thing is that before executing commands in the terminal,
latexit-1.pdf is also a small square, like if it has been overwritten by
latexit-1-2.pdf...

> What is the result
> with XeTeX? Or when going the DVI->PS->PDF route? LaTeXiT 1.16 allows all

I do not have XeTex; I tried latex+dvipdf, finding the same

> this (and also to use other TeX distributions in the system).
>
> One possible reason for a failure could be
>
>> \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc} %useful to type directly diacritic characters
>

> which might fail with old gwTeX (but
> /usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.texlive/tex/latex/base/utf8.def is loaded). How is it
> when you comment this line?

nothing changes

> Could you clear your font caches, log out and log in again, and try LaTeXiT
> again? *We* don't know when the font cache polluting bug was introduced in
> pdfTeX. And when it's that bug you encounter, then using XeTeX or
> DVI->PS->PDF should circumvent the bug  *in a clean system.*

I don't know how to clear the font caches; anyway, consider that my mac
is brand new (I just changed  from linux to mac - mainly because
I was told that applications start without having to fix bugs... :-)  );
I have just installed latex and latexit.

Cheers,

 	Leonardo

> --
> Greetings
>
> Pete
>
> There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We
> don't believe this to be a coincidence.
> 				 - Jeremy S. Anderson

Leonardo Gualtieri
Dipartimento di Fisica
Universita' degli Studi di Roma "La Sapienza"
Tel.: 06-49694247
e-mail: leonardo.gualtieri at roma1.infn.it