[OS X TeX] Invoking latex with tex + ghostscript option?

Roussanka Loukanova rloukano at stp.lingfil.uu.se
Mon Jul 13 16:59:43 EDT 2009

Hi,

On Sun, 12 Jul 2009, Enrico Franconi wrote:

> The simpdftex executable (available in MacTeX and TeXLive) does the steps for
> you.
> This is what I do in order to use simpdftex with AucTeX (add it to your
> ~/.emacs file, and you'll find a new menu entry for simpdftex):
>
> (defvar simpdflatex-program
>  "simpdftex latex --mode dvips --maxpfb --distiller ps2pdf14"
>  "PDFLaTeX program via dvips")
>
> (defun simpdflatex-command nil simpdflatex-program)
>
> (setq TeX-expand-list
> 	 (cons '("%(simpdflatex)"  (lambda nil (simpdflatex-command)))
> 	       TeX-expand-list))
>
> (setq TeX-command-list
> 	 (cons '("simPDFLaTeX" "%(simpdflatex) %t" TeX-run-TeX nil
> 		 (latex-mode doctex-mode) :help "Run pLaTeX")
> 	       TeX-command-list))
>
> (setq TeX-command-output-list
> 	 (cons '("simpdftex" ("pdf"))
> 	       TeX-command-output-list))

I've tried a fresh ~/.emacs file with copy-paste the above instructions.
Carbon Emacs outputs the following error in the buffer *Messages*:

"Symbol's value as variable is void: TeX-expand-list"

and, of course, the command simpdftex doesn't go into the Command menu.
I use simpdftex by adding the command to AUCTeX via the Carbon Emacs's
menu. A drawback is that after saving the setting, .emacs gets the
full list of all commands '(TeX-command-list ... ).
Your method is better by adding in .emacs only the additional
commands by the TeX-expand-list.

> By the way, this shows a general way to add "engines" in AucTeX.

I wonder what might be causing the error in C.Emacs.

Roussanka