[OS X TeX] Initials - fonts

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Jul 15 12:15:04 EDT 2009

On Jul 15, 2009, at 9:49 AM, Michael Sharpe wrote:

> \documentclass[11pt]{article}
> \input Acorn.fd
> \font\Acorn Acorn at 22pt
> \usepackage{lettrine}
>
> \begin{document}
> \lettrine[lines=2, lraise=0.08, findent=0.2em, nindent=0em]
> {\Acorn{W}}{e think of the} twentieth century as the beginning of a
> new period and the ending of the old, but this is really a paradox
> of statements. History cannot end, it can evolve or change
> directions but as long as man is on earth, history will exist.
> Admittedly, a social `epoch' was coming to an end and with it, a
> change in conventions, especially those referred to as ``artistic''.
> \end{document}

Howdy,

Thanks for this example. I just keep forgetting that Plain TeX
commands can usually be used within LaTeX documents.

By the way, it appears that the initials fonts were also part of
MacTeX 2008 as well as MacTeX 2009 (which is being tested and is not
released yet --- there are lots of changes still being made).

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)