[OS X TeX] Excel tables to LaTeX - new script

Maxwell, Adam R adam.maxwell at pnl.gov
Wed Jul 15 11:53:30 EDT 2009

On 07/15/09 08:42, "Alan Munn" <amunn at msu.edu> wrote:

> At 11:07 AM -0400 7/15/09, Ross Moore wrote:

[...]

>> I've never used a special tool to get from Excel
>> to LaTeX. Some simple actions, as outlined above,
>> have been sufficient for some quite complicated
>> tables that I've worked with over many years.

Providing you have the flexibility to edit your Excel table, I think your
approach is good.  If it's shared with non-LaTeX users (as all of mine were
in grad school), you have to make temporary copies and redo your & \\
columns each time the sheet changes.

> I agree with this.  The script simply makes the formatting as simple
> as cut and paste, which even for small tables makes the work faster.
> (Of course, it doesn't deal with merged cells intelligently either.)

IIRC Tabular.xla did a good job preserving merged cells and text formatting
from Excel.  However, since I'm now stuck with Excel 2008 at work, I might
be checking out your script at some point.

thanks,
Adam