[OS X TeX] Initials - fonts

George Ghio gghi at bordernet.com.au
Wed Jul 15 19:51:18 EDT 2009

On 15/07/2009, at 11:10 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Jul 14, 2009, at 11:33 PM, George Ghio wrote:

>>> Howdy,
>>>
>>> 1)Installing in texmf-dist is discouraged since a re-install will
>>> overwrite the changes/additions. You should put the files in texmf-
>>> local (/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local).
>>>
>>> 2)Did you run `sudo texhash' after installing the files? [This
>>> lets TeX ``know'' the files exist.]
>>>
>>> 3)Where did you put the .map files and did you run `sudo -H updmap-
>>> sys --enable Map foo.map' for each of the map files (i.e., put the
>>> proper map name in for each map file in the initials fonts. [This
>>> tells latex how to use the fonts.]
>>>
>>> 4)What about the .sty and .fd files? Where did you put those?
>>>
>>> Good Luck,
>>>
>>> Herb Schulz
>>> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)
>>>

>> 1) I used the installer. I use Tex as installed.
>>
>> 2) I have no idea how to do this. I wish I did, but, I don't.
>>
>> 3) The files were put wherever the installer put them.
>>
>> 4) The .sty and .fd  files are wherever the installer put them. I
>> have yet to find a .sty file for the Initials package, anywhere on
>> my computer or the www.
>>
>> Now then Herb. I appreciate that you have knowledge beyond my
>> ability. I do not know how to do what you know how to do.
>>
>> To date I have yet to find a simple guide for the use of TeX. All
>> the guides assume that one already knows what is being described.
>> Still I have managed to use TeX for my writing. I like TeX and I
>> like this group.
>>
>> Let us assume that the installer has placed all the files in
>> correct places. If I put - \usepackage{initials} - in the preamble
>> I get an error that says that - initials.sty - can't be found. So
>> is the - \usepackage{initials} - a correct command or are  -
>> initials - actually contained in a different package and the
>> command should be - \usepackage{???}.
>>
>> Many thanks for your time spent.
>>
>> George
>>

> Howdy,
>
> When I download the initials fonts from CTAN there is no installer.
> Where did you download the fonts? Taking a look at the initials
> fonts I see no .sty files and the example files are all in Plain TeX
> so there doesn't seem to be any support for LaTeX directly. I wish I
> could help more.
>
> I'm sorry if you feel I was over your head but when you said you
> installed the fonts I thought you had some familiarity with the
> structure of the TeX Distribution trees
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

I installed off the texlive 08 cd. The Initials package is included in
texlive.

Yes, I suppose that I am in fact in over my head, but hey, if I wasn't
in over my head it wouldn't be fun anymore.

I'm an artist who just happens to use a computer. I am also qualified
as a workplace trainer and assessor. When we know a subject and deal
primarily  with with others who are familiar with the same subject we
often forget that others may not possess the same level of
understanding of the subject.

All that aside I do appreciate your taking the time to try and help me.

George L Ghio
Renegade Writing