[OS X TeX] BibDesk crossref

david craig dac at panix.com
Sun Jul 19 00:32:26 EDT 2009

Adam-

On Sat, 18 Jul 2009, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:
> On Jul 17, 2009, at 11:30 PM, david craig wrote:
>> [Apropos of which, when I double click a field in an entry and try to
>> change the field name to one from the drop-down, or a new one,
>> nothing at all happens when I click OK.  The supposedly edited field
>> remains unchanged.  This feels a lot like a bug, or at best, is very
>> confusing.

Ok, I think it's just sloppy interface design.  As far as I can tell, it
won't let you change or remove anything that's a default field for that
type, even though double-clikcing on a default field brings up a sheet
that seems to imply that you can.  You can only fiddle with fields you
add.

>> And shouldn't there be an easy way to ADD a field rather than being
>> limited to changing one of the existing ones?]
>
> Isn't there a "+" button at the bottom of your editor window?  Did you hide
> the status bar?

No, and no -- not intentionally anyway.   That was the missing bit.
Makes more sense now.

>> Those aren't my real questions, though.  I've ticked "Duplicate Title
>> to Booktitle" and added "inbook" and "incollection" to the list.
>> However, it just doesn't do it.  The child shows the parent's title
>> in the "title" field, which is clearly incorrect, and the "Booktitle"
>> field remains empty. I have to make the changes manually.
>>
>> Is this a bug, or am I just confused about what's supposed to happen?
>
> The latter.  It adds Booktitle to the parent item and fills it with
> the value of the parent's Title.

Got it.  I'd created several parent items before I saw and ticked that
preference.   BibDesk doesn't retroactively add a Booktitle field to
existing entries, so I was quite unclear on what was supposed to occur.
Much clearer now!

Thanks,
David Craig

<http://www.panix.com/~dac/>