[OS X TeX] invisible text

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 21:48:55 EDT 2009

On Jul 19, 2009, at 9:11 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Jul 19, 2009, at 8:00 PM, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>
>> On Jul 19, 2009, at 8:29 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>>
>>> I know that you're running OS X 10.4.11 which isn't as
>>> susceptible to this but this sounds a lot like the infamous Font
>>> Cache bug. Download FontNuke from <http://www.jamapi.com/pr/fn/>,
>>> delete your Font Caches and re-boot for good luck. If that cures
>>> the problem you were hit.
>>
>> The problem is and therefore I was.
>>
>> I am truly against "nuclear" even in its non-explosive forms but I
>> am sending a donation to FontNuke.
>>
>> Short of a donation to you, very most grateful regards.
>> --schremmer
>

> Howdy,
>
> There are several other solutions, e.g., Onyx (which I use and like
> very much),
> but they are somewhat more general purpose

Indeed, I have used Onyx (I believe on your recommendation) sort of
for general cleaning purposes—and not just because it is French— but
had not realized it could "nuke" the font cache too. In any case, the
real issue is that there was no way I would have diagnosed the problem.

> and FontNuke certainly does that one job.

It sure did and a donation I will send in return.

As for you, I will acknowledge on http://www.freemathtexts.org/
Acknowledgments.php that you saved my butt when I was seriously in
danger of losing my head.

> Of course there is a solution via Terminal too.

PLEASE: I shudder at the mere thought of nuking not just the cache
fonts.

Most grateful regards
--schremmer