[OS X TeX] Illustrator update?

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Mon Jul 20 21:34:15 EDT 2009

Hi Greg,

On 21/07/2009, at 10:11 AM, Greg St. George wrote:

> Folks:
>
> Please forgive this ancient query, I know this question was
> probably answered years ago, but my search of the FAQ's did not
> turn it up.
>
> XeTeX has convinced me to finally give up my ancient OzteX and move
> to the TeXshop & the modern distribution.  Everything comes over
> with little effort except for my old graphics, pretty much all of
> which are .eps files produced by Illustrator.  The version I have
> is CS-2, the current one is CS-4, I think.

I use CS-2 all the time.

> Reopening these and saving as .pdf or using epstopdf always places
> the graphic in a separate page, so I think I have a bounding box
> problem.  Does upgrading Illustrator fix this problem, or is there
> some other simple fix?

Just set the Document size using:   File > Document Setup...
You'll need to know what size to set, but this can be obtained
by Selecting All of the contents, and looking at the Info window
(Use   Window > Info   to get this.)

Personally I think the .pdf files saved from Illustrator
(all versions) are way too large. Toget around this, my strategy
is to save as  Adobe EPS,  then convert the resulting  .eps
file to .pdf  using epstopdf  or other utility based on Ghostscript.
This way a file that may be as big as 500+ kb reduces to < 50kb .
Of course the saving depends upon just what is in the file, so you
may not always get such drastic savings.

> Again sorry to be so out of date.
>
> Greg
> Math Sci. , U of Montana

There's nothing out-of-date about discussing strategies to convert
graphics formats. It all depends upon what you have, and what you
would like to achieve.

Hope this helps,

	Ross

Ross Moore                                       ross at maths.mq.edu.au