[OS X TeX] Illustrator update?

Martin Costabel costabel at wanadoo.fr
Wed Jul 22 05:41:07 EDT 2009

James A. Mingo wrote:
> I also save Illustrator (version 10) files as eps but use
> Preview.app to convert. This may produce the same result as
> dropping on the TeXShop icon.

Not really. Preview.app uses /usr/bin/pstopdf to convert, and it
produces by default a whole page pdf. You can use Preview's crop tool to
cut the size down to what you want, but AFAIK automatic cropping at the
boudning box is not possible with /usr/bin/pstopdf.

TeXShop uses the pstopdf script that comes with texlive, which in turn
runs a ruby script from ConTeXt and finally uses ghostscript. It crops
automatically at the bounding box (and produces smaller pdf than Apple's
pstopdf.)

But since Greg said that epstopdf did not work for his files, dropping
on TeXShop will probably not work either. Using Preview.app and manually
cropping, while "slow and cumbersome", may be a good idea then.

--
Martin