[OS X TeX] Problems with iconv

André Bellaïche abellaic at math.jussieu.fr
Sun Jun 14 13:14:37 EDT 2009

I use TeXShop with some mac-encoded file which was converted from
latin1. This file typeset very well with \usepackage[applemac]{inputenc}

I convert it back using

iconv -f MAC -t LATIN1 nchapitres.tex > nchapitreslatin1.tex

By typesetting  nchapitreslatin1.tex (with \usepackage[latin1]
{inputenc}), I get the error :

						! Package inputenc Error: Keyboard character used is undefined
						(inputenc)                in inputencoding `latin1'.
						 l.369 \end{example}

This is rather surprising, since the output of iconv is supposed to be
made with latin1 characters.

I try UTF8 instead of LATIN1

iconv -f MAC -t UTF8 nchapitres.tex > nchapitresutf8.tex

By typesetting  nchapitreslatin1.tex (with \usepackage[utf8]
{inputenc}, and utf8 in the preferences of TeXShop), I get the error :

						Overfull \hbox (3.11702pt too wide) in paragraph at lines 361--368
						[...] .endexample |

						! Package inputenc Error: Unicode char \u8:„©l not set up for
use with LaTeX.

Puzzling!

I tried to make the conversions uisng TextEdit, I got the same results.

André