[OS X TeX] Problems with iconv

André Bellaïche abellaic at math.jussieu.fr
Sun Jun 14 17:29:41 EDT 2009

Le 14 juin 09 à 22:58, Herbert Schulz a écrit :

> On Jun 14, 2009, at 2:59 PM, André Bellaïche wrote:

>>> Howdy,
>>>
>>> How is it being read into TeXShop?
>>>
>>> Good Luck,
>>>
>>> Herb Schulz
>>> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)
>>
>> Like this:
>>
>> %!TEX TS-program = latex
>>
>> \documentclass[twoside]{book}
>>
>> \usepackage{textcomp}
>> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
>> \usepackage[french]{babel}
>> \usepackage{amssymb}
>> \usepackage{mathptmx}
>> \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
>>
>> \begin{document}
>>
>> \input{nchapitresutf8.tex}
>>
>> \end{document}
>>
>> André
>>

> Howdy,
>
> So TeXShop is going to open the file assuming the encoding is
> whatever you set as the default in TeXShop->Preferences but all of
> the text seems to be in nchapitresutf8.tex sos that should be ok.
>
> Are you sure the document nchapitresutf8.tex is, in fact utf-8? Try
> opening it in TeXShop using the Cmd-O command and make sure the
> encoding is set to utf-8 BEFORE opening it. Also, make no changes to
> the document and certainly don't save it. Does everything look ok?
> Is the document really UTF-8?
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

Well,

The default in TeXShop->Preferences is set to UTF-8.

The document nchapitresutf8.tex is utf-8. When I try to open other
documents, either in applemac or in latin1, a window opens, saying
that the text could not be open with utf-8 encoding.

Another way to check the encoding of the file is to use TextEdit, by
setting the opening preferences nto applemac, latin1 and utf-8.
TexShop is willing to open nchapitresutf8.tex whatever be the
encoding, but it is only with the preference set to utf-8 that we get
a text without fault.

The main file has also been converted to utf-8, (by TextEdit).

But I still get the error message

! Package inputenc Error: Unicode char \u8:„©l not set up for use with
LaTeX.

(I am not sure that the console uses utf-8. It seems that the error
message is set in latin1, and then displayed (without conversion)
utf-8.)

Thank for your help.

A.B.