[OS X TeX] Illustrator to printing shop via pdflatex

André Bellaïche abellaic at math.jussieu.fr
Tue Jun 16 07:15:17 EDT 2009

Dear all,

I have some black or gray level Illustrator EPS files, included in a
book via pdflatex. I use \usepackage{epstopdf} to convert them into PDF.

Unfortunately, there is no gray level mode in Illustrator. You have to
choose between RGB and CMYK.

Moreover, when the author of the image has left checked the box
"Display all the blacks as intense black" (I don't know exactly the
English formulation, I have a French version), some CMY colors may be
added to the black.

For one reason or another (RGB mode, CMY colors added to a black
stroke, some profile added by epstopdf...), at the end, you get a
message from the printing shop : ``your pdf file contains colour
images''.

Does anybody knows the good procedures :

- to get rid of the colour added in black strokes (in one only time) ;
- to save an Illustrator file in order that it is considered as a grey
or black only file by epstopdf (or Distiller), and by all applications
wihich may have to deal with the output file?

I use Illustrator CS3.

Thank you for any help.

André

P.S. I have similar problems with Photoshop. This will be the subject
of anaother post.