[OS X TeX] Off topic: system stablitity

David Watson dewatson at me.com
Sun Jun 21 15:05:22 EDT 2009

On Jun 21, 2009, at 10:15 AM, George Gratzer wrote:

> Even though I reinstalled the system with wipe disk, it is much more
> unstable than ever before since the introduction of OS X. Now I work
> with the Force Quit Application window open all the time.

GG,

If you are experiencing instabilities that you are unaccustomed to, I
would immediately suspect a problem with your hardware.
I have never had problem with system memory, but faulty memory can
cause the sorts of problems you are experiencing.

Much more likely, however, is the chance that the hard drive that your
system resides on is experiencing problems.
Between the computers I use, and the systems I feel responsible for at
work, there have been around five hard drive failures within the past
year and a half.
This type of failure does not correlate with operating system or
architecture.

A last possibility is the dreaded "bad cap" problem is more easily
diagnosed, as it would require that the hardware you are using is 2-5
years old.
You would know about this problem as there would have been a warranty
extension program from Apple for your system.

Good luck with your problem.

It would be helpful if you would let us know which operating system
version and hardware you are using.