[OS X TeX] TeXShop Feature Request

David Watson dewatson at me.com
Sat Mar 7 10:00:05 EST 2009

On Mar 7, 2009, at 8:22 AM, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> On Mar 7, 2009, at 9:10 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>
>> as well as maintain since the possible combinations of choices
>> increases factorially.
>
> That's what I was wondering about.
>
> Well, I am going to wait this one out but, of course, anyone can add
> to the wish list since, in any case, it is only a wish list.

As to the factorial explosion in choice, I was reminded of a TED talk
about such matters:
     http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/barry_schwartz_on_the_paradox_of_choice.html

After a while, I begin to wonder if I am missing out on something by
not displaying line numbers, or not splitting the pdf preview pane, ...
the list could go on and on.

I suppose the point is that the more choices I have to make about
"how" to do something---which really should be a no-brainer---the more
regret I have that I may have made a poor decision, and the less
likely I am to use the application.

There has to be a balance somewhere between having an application
which does the task that it was designed to do and at the other
extreme, an application that is completely configurable and allows the
user to make nitpicking decisions about the way to go about everything.

Each approach has an advantage to a certain audience.

The overall goal should probably be to focus the user's attention on
the task at hand, and to impede that task as little as possible.
If I had to click back and forth on tabs to switch between the console
(which contains very relevant information with respect to TeX) and the
output, I would not use TeXShop.

There, I said it.