[OS X TeX] TeXShop Feature Request

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Sat Mar 7 17:56:16 EST 2009

On Mar 7, 2009, at 2:16 PM, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> How about letting each use decide by setting a switch in the
> Preferences?

One comment from my perspective as a developer: adding preferences to
satisfy every whim of every user is foolish.  In the end, it's
confusing for users (too many options) and a huge maintenance headache
for the developer, since a minor change may affect a dozen weird
little features that he never uses.

In my opinion, it's better to do one thing well and consistently than
be able to tweak the software to the nth degree.  Have you ever looked
at Word's options?  Or tried to configure an Adobe product?  Or used
Emacs, which is reportedly a great operating system that's only
missing a decent text editor? :)  Trying to satisfy everyone will ruin
the user experience.

--
adam

PS: http://inessential.com/2006/04/15/how_to_manipulate_me_or_tuesday_whippe
  is a good article on bug reports and feature requests in general.