[OS X TeX] TeXShop Feature Request

Lee Witt leedwitt at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 20:19:37 EST 2009

As a rookie on this list, and so risking being too bold,  I would
agree with this comment.
On Mar 7, 2009, at 5:56 PM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:

> One comment from my perspective as a developer: adding preferences
> to satisfy every whim of every user is foolish.  In the end, it's
> confusing for users (too many options) and a huge maintenance
> headache for the developer, since a minor change may affect a dozen
> weird little features that he never uses.

I used amstex to type my dissertation in 1989,  used  tex and latex
off an on (when I could) for several years, and have used latex for 99\
%+ of my tests, handouts, notes, etc., for several years. At this time
I am the only faculty member at my small, private, business-oriented
school who does. We have recently  hired some new faculty who have
expressed an interest in learning late (advisors may have used it) but
are somewhat put off by the learning curve. You're probably wondering
"is there a point to this?" - yes, there is. I love texshop, think
it's great, but I wonder about how much consideration is being given
to people who want to learn Latex: is there a risk of so much
complexity with an editor that the allure of latex will be diminished
by the added complexity of this editor? I think some of the
suggestions are fine, but I worry about the issue of new users.

I do realize my concern may not be a relevant topic for this list: if
not, I apologize, but I'm not sure where it would go.

Thanks for you time.
Lee

Dr. Lee D. Witt
lee.witt at davenport.edu